Feeling stressed? Find a square and enjoy the calm
Psychologies say that mindfulness can be really useful to overcome stress and depression. Even though this concept sounds quite abstract, you are being offered various techniques to be mindful which means to calm down and redirect your thoughts to the present action or present moment. In this way, you go from stressed or depressed to a safer place and maybe a happier one. Enjoy the calm!
Clearly the raisin technique is the easiest way to experience mindfulness, but if you finished all the raisins in the house, this next technique will help you during your stressful periods.
Find a square or rectangular object next to you: it can be a window, a picture on the wall or any other object.
- Focus on the upper left corner of the square.
- Inhale and move your gaze smoothly to the upper right corner.
- Hold and bring your gaze to the lower right corner.
- Exhale and move your gaze to the lower left corner.
- And, as you hold, bring your gaze to the upper left corner.
All the stress goes away and your thoughts don’t go over and over again to the same place or situation from the past or the uncertain future. Enjoy the calm!
If you want to add a little more imagination to this technique, close your eyes and imagine a sunny spring day in the forest. Concentrate to a square mental picture of this beautiful panorama.
- Focus on the upper left corner of the square. The SUN
- Inhale and move your gaze smoothly to the upper right corner. The TREE
- Hold and bring your gaze to the lower right corner. The green GRASS
- Exhale and move your gaze to the lower left corner. The white FLOWERS
- And, as you hold, bring your gaze to the upper left corner. Let the SUN into your body.
Open your eyes and enjoy the calm installed in your thoughts.